Author's Note

I wrote the first version of this story about twelve years ago. Initially conceived as a novelized version of a short story I had written about a dozen years prior, I was surprised when Points of Departure turned into something very different from what I had expected.

Although on the surface this is the story of two men searching for the woman they both love and utterly fail to understand, it's really about two people from very different backgrounds learning to respect each other as they pursue a common goal.

As I wrote this novel, I expected a picture of the missing woman, Elise, to become clear through Joe and Brent's reminisces. Instead, Elise seems more muddled as time goes on, ultimately becoming no more real than one of Joe's carved likenesses of her. What emerges instead is a picture of two men who have multiple reasons to despise each other but who ultimately learn to find friendship in spite of their differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment